Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Pet Smart vs Petco vs That Pet Place vs Pet Supplies Plus

As much as I'd like to individually compare items at each store, that is not what this post is about. I will be comparing the setup, product selection, and atmosphere's of each pet store. These are the four pet stores that are closest to me, but I will review any new stores that I visit outside of Lancaster, PA. 

Pet Smart
I've been to a lot of Pet Smarts and I have always liked the atmosphere. I'm pretty sure that's why I always return! The employees at my local Pet Smart remember Waldo and I are always helpful. They have a large selection of everything I could possibly need. I've found dog aspirin to waterless shampoo! Their selection on most items is impressive and I love that they have a Martha Stewart line. I usually get Waldo's food at Pet Smart because of the location and how we are treated in the store. Every Pet Smart I have been to has been similar. 

Petco
The atmosphere of Petco isn't as open and the layout isn't as easy to maneuver, but it isn't difficult. I've found a lot of unique products at Petco, especially toys. They have more pop culture-based toys and organic food than Pet Smart. Their pet accessory section is actually larger than Pet Smart at most stores and I've seen some cute and functional clothing or protective wear for animals. They also have a 5% back towards another purchase which would be great if the nearest store wasn't 20 minutes away. It might just be me, but I like straight aisles better than aisles around a hub. That's probably why I prefer Pet Smart over Pet Co. 

That Pet Place
This place is massive. The aquarium that is attached (part of That Fish Place) is also a store. As for the fish part of the store, I wasn't very impressed. It seemed very dingy and bland. It didn't seem like the setup was purposeful and the aisles were messy. The pet store was better, but not as well organized as other pet stores. The toy selection was great, but it didn't seem much better than any other store that I've seen. There were a few unique products that I haven't seen and a large selection of dog food, but there the rest of the sections seemed bare. As for the other animals, the store had more than most. I saw more bird and fish supplies than any other store, but for dogs, there wasn't anything that special. 

Pet Supplies Plus
I had never heard of this store even though it is a chain store. The store closest to me is quite small, but they have a large selection of food and toys. The only other section that seemed full was the health and bath section. There were very few choices in accessories, crates, bowls, travel, etc. Since Waldo travels with me almost everywhere, I usually stop in those sections so I was disappointed. 

Out of these four stores, I have to stick with Pet Smart. The atmosphere and location are two major points that influenced my decision, but it also has larger sections than two of the other stores. There are some perks to the other stores, but unless my first choices fall through, I probably won't be making the trip out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment