Saturday, February 7, 2015

"How Are You Going to Be Able to Give Him Up?" and Other Questions About Raising A Service Dog

From the moment I started telling people that I would be raising a service dog, they immediately asking me questions about the process and how I would be able to part with the dog. I was confused at first by people's responses. I was beyond excited about the opportunity to help another person and every one I spoke to seemed to be focused on how upset I would be when having to give up a dog that was never mine in the first place. To me, my decision was focused on the end goal of helping someone and even though I always knew it would be difficult giving up a dog I had raised and spent so much time with, it was more important that the dog would be able to help someone else. 



I was beyond excited to be able to volunteer with Susquehanna Service Dogs and I love to be able to see what these dogs are able to learn and achieve. Every day, I am amazed to see what Waldo is able to do or get into around my apartment. He has grown so tall and has his own distinct personality. I love how he is quickly learning and so eagar to try new food and tricks. If only he could get some of that energy out quicker! I'll keep you updated on his life. 



FAQ
How are you going to be able to give him up?
Legally, I signed a paper saying that he is not my dog and that I would return him to the program, but in all honestly, it is going to be difficult. I am not focusing on that part of the process. It is not important. I choose to focus on the importance of his life rather than losing him.

Is it difficult to train him?
It is more frustrating than difficult to train him. He loves training most of the time and he seems to pick up everything rather quickly, but he does get distracted quite easily and that can be quite annoying.

Do you get paid to do this?
No, this is not a paid position, but it is tax deductable.

No comments:

Post a Comment