Monday, March 9, 2015

Tracking Purchases/Mileage for Susquehanna Service Dogs

While raising Waldo, it is important to track the money that I spend and the miles that I drive towards his training. This year, I started with an envelope that I kept all my receipts, but I soon realized that come next March, I'd be kicking myself for it. I needed a better solution.

I realized that every receipt needed to be easily found, but a monthly report would be best when actually preparing taxes. I decided that I would enter each receipt into an excel spreadsheet. I would include the date, amount, store, items purchased, and file number. For each receipt, I assigned a file number so that I would be able to easily find any receipt if I need to reference it at a later time. This way I wouldn't have to worry about finding the dates and keeping the receipts in order. If you've ever combed through receipts, you probably realize how different each receipt is concerning date and amount. An uniform number at the top right of every receipt allows a clean, easy organization system. I will organize these receipts by uniform packs of receipts that are labeled with their contents. This way, the small papers won't fall around. I haven't quite decided where I am storing the receipts, but I will most likely use a small shoe box organizer on my bookshelf.

This system will be great when doing my taxes next year for receipts, but what about mileage?

I will be tracking my mileage in another page of the same workbook in excel.  I'm going to state the date, the purpose, and the miles. This will keep all the information together in one file!

I hope my ideas help you and I will update this post with pictures once I take them!

No comments:

Post a Comment