Thursday, May 7, 2015

Dog Parks are For the Dogs (But People Can Enjoy Them, Too!)

Until I became Thornwald's puppy raiser, I had never visited a dog park, but I soon learned that a Labrador Retriever puppy needs much more exercise than a walk or two a day can provide. Whenever the weather was bearable, I would take an hour or two to drive him to the park so he could run around and play without being restrained by a leash or with me trying to keep up! I researched the nearby dog parks and there are two in my area, one requiring a yearly membership, so we ventured to Beau's Dream Dog Park to see if it was an appropriate outing location for Thornwald.



When I had first researched the park, I learned that this park had received a makeover in 2013 as the winning recipient in the 2012 Beneful Dream Dog Park. The park is an amazing facility and offers a variety of surfaces and activities for the dogs to participate in while they visit. Even though the park is small (something that they could not change), the way that the design is set up creates enough resistance and surfaces that dogs tire out and still have enough room to get their required exercise to remain healthy.



I take Thornwald to this park quite often and I have found that most of the dog parents are respectful of the property and watch their dogs. I have also found a strong community within the owners which I did not expect. On numerous occasions, other dog owners have helped me watch out for Thornwald and I have returned the favor. He has several dogs that he has become fast friends with and it is so sweet to see them interact. On several occasions, I have seen other dogs protect Thornwald when other dogs have become aggressive. This does not happen as often, but it is great to know that his dog friends look out for him.

The facility is absolutely stunning. There are water fountains for the dogs, a splash pad, turf "grass," a tree that throws tennis balls, bone shaped benches, and even a shaded area with chairs for the dog parents.


Going to the dog park is one of Thornwald and I's favorite activities and I am glad that not only the residents of Lancaster have kept the park nice, but the city also provides support and tennis balls. It is a great resource and it has solved my puppy energy problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment